 Space / 24647
Re: An interesting Sci-fi idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:13:05 GMT

-snip
   So, you wanna run with the big dogs, do you Jr Marshal?

either that or kick the big dogs in their knee caps. hehehehehe.

   I would argue that life has a finite number genetic traits for any one population. However, space offers infinite possibilites. The combination of even the smallest changes in environment would have dramatic effects on the evolution of a population. Therefore, for your above stated theory, the conditions on each planet would have to be exactly the same.

but you have a limiting factor of planets that can sustain life at all. But the theory states “given the physics and chemistry of organic molecules”. I would argue that there are a finite ways in which these molecules can form, and therefore, theoretically, a finite number of traits.

but I do concede that planetary conditions must be extremely close inorder to produce similar species. but, since the theory is writen from a perspective of the future, where we have found and studied a great number of planets and their specific conditions. i would suppose that on earth only a small % of the possible traits have been used.

   Indeed, Oceanica did not have life tending toward higher apes, but rather a more insect-fish like kind of life. I refer, of course, to the Sea Monkeys.

of course, because conditions on Oceanica are so different from on earth. Within my theory, intelligence wouldn’t necessarily be associated with higher apes, but would lie along several different paths of evolution. The theory only states that within conditions that lead to life, there are a finite number of tracks that can be followed, but does not specify how many.

Of course, it need not be planetary conditions. a region of a planet could produce conditions similiar enough to Oceanica that Sea Monkeys could evolve elsewhere.

   thought this might be an interesting thought.

A very interesting thought. Are the Interplanetary Evolutionary Biologists an Eastern Block affiliated organization? I’d like to hear more about the whole concept. Joe Meno and I have been toying with xenobiology over in .aquazone for a while now.

oh no no. Interplanetary Evolutionary Biology is a scientific field that Eastern Block scientists are particularly gifted in. The organization is the Scientific Research Sub-Directorate of the Mechanic-Technological Directorate.

hehehehe.

-Jr.Mar.Hoffman