 Space / 24663
Re: An interesting Sci-fi idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:55:22 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   -snip-
   Well, I just had to chime in on this..

Well, that’s not necessarily so. Dinosaurs lacked the ability to adapt in the same manner that mammals did. That is what makes humans so powerful, adaptability. Of course, it also limits us. the age old pull between adaptability and instinctual programming. We can learn alot, but it takes time and effort to properly learn, and if that information isn’t learned (like how to forage/cook), then we don’t survive.

Adaptation is a certain aspect of what happened to the dinosaurs, but still, such an event as a cataclysmic global event doesn’t leave much to adapt to. Even humans would have a rough time if we weren’t forewarned.

   And about infinite combinations, I’m not so sure. Yeah, I’m not a biologist or anything, but it seems to me that there can only be so many ways to match up molecules. sure the amount is huge (several billion trillion even), but it’s not infinite. (if there are any genetic biologists out there who’d like to chime in?)

And how many words can be made with the alphabet? 26 letters, infinite variations. And yes many of the words will be nonsense, but many will not.

   So I would be inclined to change the track theory such that life will advance toward the dominant life type of a planet. Earth could have just as easily been populated by sentient reptiles, if it weren’t for a cataclysmic event.Or Earth could have been populated bysentient whales;)

I think the Track Theory (or maybe Tree Theory?) and infinite combinations are mutually exclusive ideas. Because, given the chance in the equation, if combinations are infinite, then traits and species characteristics are also infinite. It would be like playing the lottery, except the number can be any real number.

I don’t know about that...traits can be infinite, but it doesn’t mean that all of them are viable in a biological system, so there’s a finite property to it.

Joe Meno Amateur Xenobiologist

ps. i like theoretical scientific discussions!

I like it too, but it’s wreaking havoc on my advertising work:)