 Space / 24651
Re: An interesting Sci-fi idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:23:20 GMT

In lugnet.space, Joe Meno wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Felix Greco wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   Direct from the Eastern Block Scientific Research Directorate:

Theory of ‘Track’ Evolution

(snip)

I would argue that life has a finite number genetic traits for any one population. However, space offers infinite possibilites. The combination of even the smallest changes in environment would have dramatic effects on the evolution of a population. Therefore, for your above stated theory, the conditions on each planet would have to be exactly the same.

Indeed, Oceanica did not have life tending toward higher apes, but rather a more insect-fish like kind of life. I refer, of course, to the Sea Monkeys.

   thought this might be an interesting thought.

A very interesting thought. Are the Interplanetary Evolutionary Biologists an Eastern Block affiliated organization? I’d like to hear more about the whole concept. Joe Meno and I have been toying with xenobiology over in .aquazone for a while now.

Well, I just had to chime in on this..

My take on this is that while there might be a finite number of organic molecules, the combinations of molecules are infinite. A given trait might have one or two molecules to express itself, or it may take a sequence that runs thousands of molecules long. Whether or not a given biosystem gets that complex is a matter of time.This plays into the tree structure that Leonard mentioned, although, if you look at the evolutionary tree on Earth, you’ll notice that some of the deadends happened not because a trait got ‘phased out’, but because of a massive change in environment...meteors, climate change, etc.

So I would be inclined to change the track theory such that life will advance toward the dominant life type of a planet. Earth could have just as easily been populated by sentient reptiles, if it weren’t for a cataclysmic event.Or Earth could have been populated bysentient whales;)

Joe Meno, Amateur Xenobiologist

I guess the other fly in the oinment might be the assumption that there is an immutable ‘Law of Physics’. As the quantum areas of physics are being explored as they relate to huge distances, spans of space etc, it is becoming more apparent that these laws in themselves share a relation to exterior, effective forces as well. If this holds true for the very essence of how we conceptualize the movement of things in the universe, it could stand to reason that such accepted norms in biodevelopment could also be guidelines more than hard and fast rules.

-G