 Space / 24654
Re: An interesting Sci-fi idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:27:51 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   but you have a limiting factor of planets that can sustain life at all. But the theory states “given the physics and chemistry of organic molecules”. I would argue that there are a finite ways in which these molecules can form, and therefore, theoretically, a finite number of traits.

I agree, but for that scientists have defined life on earth as what they have seen, and we still don’t know the full potential other elements may have in slightly altered environments. But, (prepare for extreme geekiness) where would a life-form like the Q from star trek fit into the taxonomy?

but I do concede that planetary conditions must be extremely close inorder to produce similar species. but, since the theory is writen from a perspective of the future, where we have found and studied a great number of planets and their specific conditions. i would suppose that on earth only a small % of the possible traits have been used.

Those possibilites are only limited by the lifespan of the planet, I would think. On a tangent- whenever I hear someone say that humans are “destroying” the earth with pollution, I have to laugh. We couldn’t stop life on earth if we tried. Life will persist regardless- it will merely have to adapt. That may mean nasty giant roaches rather than cute bunnies, but thats another story...

   Of course, it need not be planetary conditions. a region of a planet could produce conditions similiar enough to Oceanica that Sea Monkeys could evolve elsewhere.

There’s an ancient Sea Monkey saying, “just add water!”

   oh no no. Interplanetary Evolutionary Biology is a scientific field that Eastern Block scientists are particularly gifted in. The organization is the Scientific Research Sub-Directorate of the Mechanic-Technological Directorate.

hehehehe.

Hmmmmm, so once again, the east believes they are more gifted and advanced. Didn’t you learn anything from the 20th century? ;)

-Felix