 Space / 21501
Re: Blade Runner Police Spinner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 06:40:00 GMT

In lugnet.space, Allan Bedford writes:

I saw it in the theaters 20 years ago and was about your age at the time.
(does that date me?)  To be honest... I didn't really "get it" at the time.

Same here. Although even then I could appreciate it at a purely aesthetic
level. The visuals and the music and the mood they create virtually spawned
the whole cyberpunk genre.

It's a pretty deep story, but a good one.  I would certainly not recommend
it for someone who's not ready for it.  I know that sounds silly, but
everyone's different.  Perhaps you could watch it with a parent... or an
older relative?

Or wait a couple years... you may even enjoy it more.

For even more background, give the book a read.  The movie was based on a
novel by Philip K. Dick, called "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"  The
book is darker yet than the movie and delves deeper into the character of
Deckard (played by Harrison Ford).

Sounds interesting...

It's good stuff... though Dick was a bit twisted.  :)

And some. Ever read 'A Scanner Darkly'?

I would almost suggest reading the book before seeing the movie.  Many of
the subtle themes of the movie are revealed once you understand the full story.

I read the book when the movie was out, and frankly I didn't enjoy it then,
certainly not as much as the movie (note: the book is very different from
the film as I recall). However, I've been reading more of Dick's stuff
lately, it might be time to re-read it. I think I'll watch the movie again too.

Allister