 Space / 1774
Re: Microfig Creations and Karim Nassar's Pallas Spaceworks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 01:30:37 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Sproaticus wrote in message <38EA1F64.6D7A7A51@io.com>...

of the lure of microfig-scale building is trying to capture the essense of
something in as few pieces as possible.  (1)  But it's not just the • challenge
of minimalist design.  It's also learning new and innovative ways to use
pieces that would have never come up with minifig-scale building.

You seem to be implying that minimalism is something that happens especially
in microfig-scale. I don't think that it is. It can be applied at any scale,
and I can just as easily be sloppy and over-extravagant when modelling a
huge microfig-scale mess that uses ten thousand pieces.

Perhaps this association of microfig with minimalism is a result of, say,
the sizes of things we like to try and model, or even the kinds of details
we tend to model. For instance, many of the functions that I love to put in
minifig-scale models are the ones that are virtually always absent on
microfig-scale models. Do I think, therefore, that minifig-scale models are
more functional? No! It's just a result of what details we pay attention to.

Agreed.  There is no "right" scale.  It's simply what the modeller finds • his
or her skills matching.

I would have thought it was more dictated by what size object you were
modelling, and/or whether you wanted it to be to the same scale as something
else that you'd already modelled for display purposes. I wouldn't bother
trying to make a microfig-scale TIE fighter because I can comfortably build
a minifig-scale one, _unless_ I wanted to display it with my star
destroyer.... that's the sort of thing I mean.

1.  Eric Brok put it best:  http://www.lugnet.com/cad/?n=1386

He's clearly praising minimalism in general and _not_ microfig scale in
particular. I'm sure that "purity, restriction, simpleness [and] elegance"
can be embodied, say, in a minifig-scale droideka.... ;-)

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164
http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub/