 Space / 1779
Re: Microfig Creations and Karim Nassar's Pallas Spaceworks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:26:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I always have enjoyed modeling in both scales.  After finishing my largest
microfig ship to date
(DS-4, http://home.austin.rr.com/prj/ds4.html) I got started doing a bunch of
minifig scale blacktron stuff.  I'll probably do another large microfig scale
ship afterwards.  To tell you the truth I don't often pick which scale the
design will be until I'm about 50% done with the initial builing.  A good
example of this is when I created the DS-9
(http://home.austin.rr.com/prj/ds9.html).  The DS-9 was meant to be a minifig
scale interceptor.  But I was niver happy with cockpit so I ended up using it
as a microfig scale destroyer.  I still liked the overall shape as a minifig
scale interceptor, so eventually I made the YG-99
(http://home.austin.rr.com/prj/yg99.html).  Anyway, a lot of the best aspects
of the MOCs presented on LUGNET is the overall design of the ship.  After this
comes everything else, IMO.

Pat J

In lugnet.space, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Paul Baulch wrote:
Sproaticus wrote in message <38EA1F64.6D7A7A51@io.com>...
Perhaps this association of microfig with minimalism is a result of, say,
the sizes of things we like to try and model, or even the kinds of details
we tend to model.  [...]

Wow.  I agree with most everything you said, but I disagree at the same time.
I dunno how to verbalize it just yet.  Perhaps it's that I feel "drawn" to
model in microfig scale, and intimidated (mostly due to cost and number of
pieces) by minifig scale.  But at the same time, I can more appreciate someone
else's microfig scale model over a similar minifig scale one.

1.  Eric Brok put it best:  http://www.lugnet.com/cad/?n=1386
He's clearly praising minimalism in general and _not_ microfig scale in
particular. I'm sure that "purity, restriction, simpleness [and] elegance"
can be embodied, say, in a minifig-scale droideka.... ;-)

Erm, read Eric's message again.  :-,  He's addressing both microfig scale
*and* the four attributes you quoted.  And Bonsai typically come in small
packages.  But you're absolutely right -- these design principals can be
applied to any scale.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society