 Space / 1778
Re: Fighter Launch Rack and other Hangar Bay Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:15:42 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.space, Bill Jackson writes:
<snip>
By the way, do you think capital ships should be able to carry other capital
ships?

Your fleet; you make the call. Though eventually there'll be a ship that can't
be contained by what's considered a 'vessel', so you might want to re-consider
your nomenclature as it pertains to your milieu. Mobile stations (a la Death
Star et. al.) are, of course, another (tasty) subject :)

The larger ship would have to be a truly great size and the smaller
ship would have to be a frigate or gunboat class, but is it feasible?

Feasible, shmeasible. It depends on the scale and purpose of your operation.

The
Eclipse Star Destroyer could hold an entire Star Destroyer in its docking
bay.

I don't know if the Eclipse was the only ship in it's class, but even if it
was, I can well imagine the term "capital" being removed to the larger vessel
once it was built.

Is it reasonable to build a very large capital ship with a small force
of strike cruisers inside the hangar?

IMO, the size of the force depends on how good those strike cruisers are.

Just for argument's sake: does each strike cruiser have fighter squadrons of
its own? If the capital ship holds 4 strike cruisers, and each cruiser has 4
squadrons of 6 fighters, would that be enough? That's 64 fighters per capital
ship then.

Even then, I can't imagine cruisers and fighters being the only protection for
the capital ship. I would suspect it has turrets, cannons and torpedoes of its
own.

I also could imagine that the strike cruisers could offer some protection,
though probly none if they were pretty much enclosed in a hangar. But they
could be docked differently. What if while docked, they had a side exposed:
that side could have at least one turret mounted on it that could be
automatically controlled by the larger ship.

Just some thoughts.

-Tom McD.
when replying, Bigfoot has been known to raid spamcake from many a traveler's
cooler.