 Space / 1775
Re: Fighter Launch Rack and other Hangar Bay Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 14:32:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In article <FsIw0I.Bw2@lugnet.com>, Bob Jackson <omegax@newrealm.net> wrote:
By the way, do you think capital ships should be able to carry other capital
ships?  The larger ship would have to be a truly great size and the smaller
ship would have to be a frigate or gunboat class, but is it feasible?  The
Eclipse Star Destroyer could hold an entire Star Destroyer in its docking
bay.  Is it reasonable to build a very large capital ship with a small force
of strike cruisers inside the hangar?

While I don't see any reason to declare "capital ships cannot carry other
capital ships", my imagination can't come up with a reason why one would
bother. I can understand the idea of "docking" two ships together, but why
would one devote a huge amount of space simply toward enclosing another
ship that is itself already enclosed? Similarly, once you've moved it
into this enclosed area, what do you do with it? Grab it with that very
same docking collar you were going to use before? Or "land" the ship on the
deck, though capital ships aren't often designed to "land" on things?

Enclosing the space would allow one to pressurize it so minifigs could work
on the ships without space-suits, but I doubt that would really be worth the
expense. Similarly, if it were, would it make more sense to have this
thing be part of another ship, or simply its own structure orbitting some
planet?

I've done some work towards building a carrier bay that could handle my
"Galactic Mediator++" (it's similar in design to the Galactic Mediator,
but twice the length and twice the width), and the sheer scale of that was
way too big for my meager lego collection. And I don't consider the GM++
to be a capital ship...

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu                            ( <