 Space / 13935
Re: New Website, New MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 19:00:32 GMT

In lugnet.space, Bram Lambrecht writes:
PHP would certainly be easier! I'm usually against using Javascript for
anything important, but you seem to pull it off pretty well.  Roughly 3%
of your visitors will see nothing at all though...

Yes, I feel the same way.  Anything with the term "java" I try to stay far away
from .  More or less I am trying to stay away from anything that is not
standard between Mozilla and Exploder, as I test with both.  But when push came
to shove, I dove into it.  If anything I am staying away from DOM usage, and
sticking to core functions.

You seem to have mastered style sheets.  The overall look of the site is
quite pleasing, and you've used no images!

Style sheets are a pain.  But someday I hope that everyone can get along and
stick to one standard of style sheets.  On the other hand, pigs might grow
wings and fly.

The web site is
http://members.cox.net/viffer
and the first MOC is the ASI-100 Shock Hawk, an Aeronautical/Space
Interceptor Fighter.

I like the design a lot.  The landing gear, hoses and other details look
good.  However, I think the winglets which attach the engines to the
fuselage look a bit flimsy.  Perhaps adding another wing, creating a
biplane look, would make them look stronger.  Or you could try to make
them thicker, but that would require a different design altogether.

I will be the first to admit, they are flimsy.  But I was kind of in a pickle.
I actually built the sled and the two engines separetly and came to the
situation of how in the heck am I going to get the look I want in connecting
them togethor without making it look to heavy.  If I would have had 8 of those
tilted wings I would have used them by doubling them up.  But alas, only 4 were
found in my inventory, so I settled on this.  Its not a model you would have
your kids play with. I am pretty happy with it nonetheless.  The power plant
could have been much better, I agree, and the engines on a little tighter too,
but hey, were a new company :-) and engineering mistakes do happen.

BTW, in your "competition" section (cute name), you've got a couple
typos...first "Where not afraid to list them" should be "We're not
afraid to list them", and "Bran's LEGO Site" should be "Bram's LEGO
Site".  Oh, and Paul's not the only one who uses PHP :)  Kyle and I do
too.
--Bram

Gawd .. sorry for the insult by spelling your name wrong.  Must have been
seeing things a little fuzzy last night (late) while I reentered in the links
information.  The changes have been made.  As for the remaining spelling
errors, I agree, there are quite a few.  That falls into the "polish it up"
phase.  But none the less, when told, I will get them cleaned up asap.

And don't pay any attention to the order .. they are put in as I found them.
This in due time will include a randomizing algorithm so that no one is first,
no one is last. (again, more polish it up stuff)

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu
www.bldesign.org