 Space / 13523
Re: Greetings!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 19:01:31 GMT

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:

By all means, whatever I have is open to you and anybody else to use....it's
the greatest compliment!!

   Then expect more compliments.  :)

Trans black wedge screen?!  Good news for 2002 indeed!

   Yep.  I saw two in the $50 skateboarding eXtreme set, due out
   in September (IIRC).

The storyline is still in it's formulative stages.  My thought is that I
would like to track the development of a group of minifigs that are
developing the first means of exo-solar travel.  The intial goal is to
create a drive that can achieve FTL (faster than light) travel.  The second
is to develop a ship for test flights to the outer reaches of their system.
The third is to incorporate it into an exploration ship for an extended
voyage.  The ETV is the first design for a rover that will be able to
explore these new worlds.

   This is part of the reason I asked; I work on NEF (Near Earth Future)
   items as well (look back a ways for my TAU page).  I'm currently in
   the process of building a page for a new ship (HMS Experiment) and
   the first extrasolar survey mission, which does *not* include a planet-
   fall component.

Once out there, I love the idea of finding archeological relics on other
worlds.  As a kid, I had a large picture book called 'Spacewrecks'.

   Ha!  I spent eight years searching for a copy of that book.  Since 1997,
   at long last, I have owned a copy; while it lacks in some respects, the
   idea is incredibly tantalizing.  It was a critical formative influence
   in my own .space thinking.

   For NEF building, though, you might want to get your hands on a copy of
   Matloff and Mallove, _The Starflight Handbook_.  They're very realistic;
   perhaps too much so, because they throw cold water on FTL dreams (though
   they do discuss possibilities).

Beautiful colour plates of derilict ships and failed colonizations with
elaborate histories.  I always wanted to create a theme around this.  The
Caribou was conceived as a model for a derilect found in the lower
atmosphere of a Jovian-class planet...a left over from an ancient war with
no winners.  Grand plans, but we'll see what happens!

   Someone saw the Enterprise episode with the Klingon scout ship.  ;)

   Excellent.  Well, as if you needed it, you have 100% approval from
   me on your fundamental influences--so I'm really looking forward to
   seeing what you come up with.  Excellent!

   best

   LFB