 Space / 1296
Re: Updated my pages; new nanofig-scale starships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:20:59 GMT

James Wilson wrote:

Dude, you rock!  These, as usual for you, are great.

The quality of the pics isn't the best; I'd gladly take suggestions on how I
can improve my digital camera skills.

Try more light and multiple light-sources.  Something I've had some limited
success in photographing scale models with is using the cheap-o aluminum
reflectors with photo bulbs in them -- buying the bulb makes up for the cost of
the reflector :(   Then, put a piece of typing paper, or a hankerchief, over
the front of the reflector to make an always-on "softbox."  You have to
experiement with how close to the model to place the light source, and how long
you can leave the diffuser on the lamp before it catches on fire!!

Slightly more expensive (but worth it) - go to a Plastics shop and buy diffuser
grid or white plastic sheet, cut it into a circle, drill a few holes around the
edges and the edges of the aluminum dome, and use coathanger or other stiff wire to
connect them - space the plastic about an inch from the edge of the dome, and you
never have to worry about overheating.  Then you can do neat things like tape
colored gels to the hard plastic for custom lighting effects.