 Publishing / 1467
1466  |  1468
Subject:
lighting (was: Re: Updated my pages; new nanofig-scale starships)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 23:05:09 GMT

In lugnet.build, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
[...] Does having black felt cloth under the model affect the lighting at
all?  Perhaps by screwing up the camera's contrast settings?  [...]

I just remembered something. . . .  I took some photos of a full moon on a
clear night last summer, and -- much to my surprise -- the moon was actually
much brighter to the camera than it seemed to be to the naked eye.  When I'd
point the camera at the moon, all I'd get was a blurry white splotch in the
middle of a large black area.  Not sure why, but probably the brightness
imbalance across the picture was causing the camera to compensate in weird
ways.

Anyway, it wasn't until I set the shutter speed all the way down to 1/4000
second that it was able to put the moon into focus in all its grayscale
glory.  The resulting portion of the image that was moon was 140x140 out of
1024x768.  Needs a bit of gamma tweakage in Photoslop to really see the more
subtle of the details, but it's definitely recognizable as The Moon.

--Todd