 Publishing / 1461
Re: Updated my pages; new nanofig-scale starships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 19:49:06 GMT

In lugnet.build, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
My biggest complaint about the focus (and my only gripe about the Mavica)
is that the pixelated screen on the back of the camera is insufficient in
terms of manual focus.  I have to snap off a dozen shots at different focus
settings, then load them in PSP to see which ones actually turned out.

The good news on focus is that increasing the light provides added choices:
you can increase the shutter speed (1/60 -> 1/250, for example) or increase
the F-stop (1.8 -> 5.6, for example), or a combination.

Increasing the F-stop is generally the way to go if you want the images to
appear larger than life (as opposed to little models) and free from unwanted
blur.  A higher F-stop means a tighter pinhole, which in turn means a larger
depth of field, which in turn means better focus.  Try it out interactively
by putting the camera into auto-everything (the one where where you can watch
the F-Stop change), and then point the lens at your outstretched fingers and
move around the room into various lighting conditions and check out how the
depth of field changes.  :)

--Todd