 Space / 1277
Re: Updated my pages; new nanofig-scale starships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 19:01:15 GMT

Dude, you rock!  These, as usual for you, are great.

The quality of the pics isn't the best; I'd gladly take suggestions on how I
can improve my digital camera skills.

Try more light and multiple light-sources.  Something I've had some limited
success in photographing scale models with is using the cheap-o aluminum
reflectors with photo bulbs in them -- buying the bulb makes up for the cost of
the reflector :(   Then, put a piece of typing paper, or a hankerchief, over
the front of the reflector to make an always-on "softbox."  You have to
experiement with how close to the model to place the light source, and how long
you can leave the diffuser on the lamp before it catches on fire!!  But that's
the beauty of digital photography -- instant results make for better
experimentation.

You don't have an easy solution with focus.  The closer you get to your
subject, or the more life-size it is rendered on the image, the shallower your
depth of focus becomes.  That's why telephoto lenses give you such great depth
of focus, macro lenses have much less, and microscopes have next to none.

I have to nit-pick one item.  To quote your site:  "A nanofig refers to a scale
which is much _larger_ than a minifig or even a microfig."  (my emphasis added)
As a scale is a ratio (1:48 or 1:72 for many model aircraft, 1:350 or 1:500
for ships, etc), then a _larger_ scale implies a _smaller_ denominator of the
fraction or ratio.  Therefore, a _larger_ scale means "closer to life-size."
It's a common mistake -- go into a map store and ask for a large-scale map of
your city and see what you get.  My geography prof used to chew us out for
mixing these up, so we used to do it on purpose to get him riled.

Again, the models are excellent.

James