 Space / 12407
Re: Motorbike contest anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 04:38:37 GMT

In lugnet.space, William R. Ward writes:
"Dave Johann" <legomecha@adelphia.net> writes:
In lugnet.space, William R. Ward writes:
We had a contest at our local LUG meeting where you could vote as >many
times as you entered, and it worked quite well.  It's a way of
encouraging people to create more entries.  If there is overwhelming
sentiment in favor of one person / one vote, I'll back down, but I
think we should at least try it according to one model / one vote.

This seems like the only way to encourage new entries. After all, that is
partly why many of us entered multiple entries in the Hoverthing contest.
One entry=one vote for someone else.

Yeah, I agree.  I think I'll stick with the one entry = one vote rule.

I'm still not sure about that.  I'm going to go on a stastistical extreme
here to prove a point.  Let's say that there are 7 entries.  Six are the
ones I've already completed, and one comes from somebody else.  I have six
votes, and he gets one.  If I can vote for my own, then it's pretty obvious
I'll pick the one of mine I like and it'll win.  If I can't vote on my own,
then I have to put them ALL on the other guy's entry.  He has one vote to
put on any one of mine, so he'll obviously win.  A 1 vote per entry creates
a stastistical imbalance that I don't think we ought to deal with.

I'm snipping the rest of the thread because it's getting too long, but I'll
say a few more things.  As long as the start date is January 6th or earlier,
I don't care, since that's when I posted my first bike.  Except Lugnet runs
on GMT so it really thinks I posted it on the 7th.  Eh, whatever, it's only
a day.  The finish date doesn't matter to me either, since I'm currently
unemployed and can't afford to attend BricksWest (as much as I'd like to) so
that date is meaningless to me.  I think running til around the middle of
February is good.  The 10th (which is a Sunday) seems reasonable enough, as
that would make the entire contest 6 weeks long, which is a pretty good
length of time.

I'm also against CAD only entries, despite the fact that some people can
design very well that way.  The point of Lego (and I think the point of
contests like this) is to build stuff in real life.  If you want to do Cad
only stuff for contests, that's what the LDraw model of the month is for.

Adrian
--
www.brickfrenzy.com