 Space / 12392
Re: Motorbike contest anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 12:25:27 GMT

In lugnet.space, William R. Ward writes:
"Adrian Drake" <tremor@apk.net> writes:
In lugnet.space, Tom Sciortino writes:

We had a contest at our local LUG meeting where you could vote as >many
times as you entered, and it worked quite well.  It's a way of
encouraging people to create more entries.  If there is overwhelming
sentiment in favor of one person / one vote, I'll back down, but I
think we should at least try it according to one model / one vote.

This seems like the only way to encourage new entries. After all, that is
partly why many of us entered multiple entries in the Hoverthing contest.
One entry=one vote for someone else.

Also the rule about not voting for yourself is totally unenforceable
if the votes are secret, so we didn't use that rule at our LUG contest
(voting was done on slips of paper anonymously inserted into a box).
But if the moderator is looking at the ballots, then it can be
enforced, and it would probably help make the winners rise above the
noise better.  So I'll include that rule - you can't vote for any of
your own models.

This is fairly obvious AFAIAC. Voting for yourself creates an all-around
tie. If there is a moderator who doesn't enter and just accepts entries from
entrants :], then that person can look at my ballot and verify that I didn't
vote for myself. This could provide some interesting strategy within the
voting process.

Please allow CAD entries for those of us who just don't have the • more modern
pieces or the desired colors.

I'd rather it not be possible to use colors that don't exist, but that's a
preference of mine.  CAD's fine, just so long as the pieces exist in real
life in those colors.

To my mind, the problem with CAD is it gives you an infinite pallette
of bricks to work with.  Part of the challenge of LEGO design is that
you have to work with what you have (or can easily obtain via BrickBay
etc.).  So as long as it's in keeping with the spirit of that, I guess
we can allow CAD models.

Saying that the pieces used must exist in real life in those colors
still allows for extremely rare pieces to be used in quantity.  So I'd
rather say something like: "... so long as the pieces exist in real
life in those colors and quantities, in the collections of most AFOL
spaceheads."

UGH! CAD entries present a slew of problems for such a contest. You've
outlined most of the reasons why CAD is BAD. What is completely unfair about
the use of CAD for such a contest is it allows a near infinite number of
RARE parts in rare colors for such a project. If you wanted to invest the
time, energy and cashflow into tracking down the parts you need, then I see
a project that is both well developed and a true labor of love for this
contest. CADing an entry doesn't require nearly as much effort as building
it for real given the time constraints we are facing.

Either way, I'll enter, but my entry will look much nicer if I'm allowed to
use cad.  :)

Assuming that the contest starts as of last Sunday (when I posted my first
bike) then I'm cool with it.  If I have to come up with a bunch of new
ideas, I'll be very put out :)

This is the phase in the negotiation where bribery can do
wonders... ;-)

How about this: start date is Jan 1, end is Jan 31.

Great for Adrian. Not so great for those of us who now have to play 'catch
up'.  Any chance we can change the dates to Jan 7-Feb 7? That gives us a
more realistic chance of catching the current leader and pushes the contest
closer to Brickswest dates-a nice place to show off the models IRL.

--Bill.

-Dave 'Turbocharged' Johann