 Space / 12391
Re: Motorbike contest anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:53:03 GMT

"Adrian Drake" <tremor@apk.net> writes:
In lugnet.space, Tom Sciortino writes:
Two suggestions:

Only one vote regardless of how many entries you make.  If one person were
to make 6 entries (I won't mention any names  ;) then they would have way
too much sway in the voting arena.

Who me?  *innocent look*  I agree, one vote per person regardless of the
number of entries, and you can't vote for yourself. That's the way these
contests usually go.

I'd suggest the mechanism used for the recently completed Blacktron contest.
It seemed fairly straightforward and simple.

I didn't follow that contest very closely.  Since I didn't have any
Blacktron sets or experience with Blacktron, I decided not to enter,
so I ignored most of the traffic regarding the contest (though I did
look at most of the entries).

We had a contest at our local LUG meeting where you could vote as many
times as you entered, and it worked quite well.  It's a way of
encouraging people to create more entries.  If there is overwhelming
sentiment in favor of one person / one vote, I'll back down, but I
think we should at least try it according to one model / one vote.

Also the rule about not voting for yourself is totally unenforceable
if the votes are secret, so we didn't use that rule at our LUG contest
(voting was done on slips of paper anonymously inserted into a box).
But if the moderator is looking at the ballots, then it can be
enforced, and it would probably help make the winners rise above the
noise better.  So I'll include that rule - you can't vote for any of
your own models.

Please allow CAD entries for those of us who just don't have the more modern
pieces or the desired colors.

I'd rather it not be possible to use colors that don't exist, but that's a
preference of mine.  CAD's fine, just so long as the pieces exist in real
life in those colors.

To my mind, the problem with CAD is it gives you an infinite pallette
of bricks to work with.  Part of the challenge of LEGO design is that
you have to work with what you have (or can easily obtain via BrickBay
etc.).  So as long as it's in keeping with the spirit of that, I guess
we can allow CAD models.

Saying that the pieces used must exist in real life in those colors
still allows for extremely rare pieces to be used in quantity.  So I'd
rather say something like: "... so long as the pieces exist in real
life in those colors and quantities, in the collections of most AFOL
spaceheads."

Either way, I'll enter, but my entry will look much nicer if I'm allowed to
use cad.  :)

Assuming that the contest starts as of last Sunday (when I posted my first
bike) then I'm cool with it.  If I have to come up with a bunch of new
ideas, I'll be very put out :)

This is the phase in the negotiation where bribery can do
wonders... ;-)

How about this: start date is Jan 1, end is Jan 31.

--Bill.