 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 227
  failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

PC: toshiba - P25 series model with four usb 2.0 ports, an bluetooth/wi-fi capability, w/ infrared port built in as well. IR Tower : usb RCX : 1.0 Symptom: - communication between the ir tower & laptop is fine... verified with the device manager - (...) (21 years ago, 16-Oct-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

I tested with the same installation, IR tower & rcx module with another laptop (by Dell) built with infrared port, wireless network card, but with no bluetooth built in. They work fine... The problem is more and more leaning over to hardware (...) (21 years ago, 17-Oct-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

I may be stepping out on a limb, but have you tried reformatting the laptop that doesn't work? What about using NQC or the original Lego software to test and make sure its not RoboLab in combination with your laptop that is causing errors. Ok, (...) (21 years ago, 17-Oct-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

Hi, Nathan, I truly suspect that the issue is the Toshiba hardware of this particular laptop model. I have 3 Dell desktops, 3 laptops. They all have built in usb ports, either 2.0 or 1.0. They all work fine, with the identical setup up, even with (...) (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

(...) This sounds identical to the situation described by Rob Hendrix in (URL) Anderson from LEGO suggested via email that the USB port may not be giving the tower sufficient current. Perhaps you could try a powered hub? John Hansen (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

(...) I am having almost the same issues. I want to share my story because some of the key elements in your story match mine exactly: Computer: Toshiba Satellite/WinXP/3-USB 2.0 RCX 1.0 USB tower Software: RIS 2.0, SDK 2.5, Bricxcc (all have same (...) (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

hi, all, I'm going to dig into my big cable/accessories bin to for my powered usb hub tonight. I don't have a pc-usb card though. Bob, please post if your test with the pc card work... -- thank you very much... E ===...=== (...) of (...) tower (...) (...) (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

well, the IR tower is fired when I tested out with different powered hubs. I used 2.0 powered hub, the same symptom occured... the OS crashed in the identical fashion. When I used 1.0 powered hub, the tower mysterably ceased to response, then the OS (...) (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

"Elizabeth Mabrey" <emabrey@storming-robots.com> wrote in message news:HoMq73.B9J@lugnet.com... (...) I (...) ceased (...) I (...) OK, I have the problem fixed. You may not like the remedy, but it worked lastnight flawlessly. Oh, and the PCMCIA USB (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

Hey, Rob, that's what I was doing last night as well.. but I was installing the w2kpro as my virtual machine (VMWare). However, I ran into some system problem and I have to do this again today. If it works with the w2kpro on your toshiba satellite (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

(...) fine (...) (all (...) Ya, its a real pain in the arse... Rob (21 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

Just to verify the verdict... yes, it did work with w2kpro installed on this laptop. One note is that w2k vanilla does not support wireless 802.1g device, which is what comes with this toshiba satellite p25. It requires service pack 4. -- emabrey (21 years ago, 8-Dec-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)