 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 235
Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 02:42:34 GMT

well, the IR tower is fired when I tested out with different powered hubs. I
used 2.0 powered hub, the same symptom occured... the OS crashed in the
identical fashion.  When I used 1.0 powered hub, the tower mysterably ceased
to response, then the OS does not even recognize the tower.  I thought I
might have supplied too much power... but I tested with the mouse with the
same 1.0 hub, it worked fine with the same level of power supply.  I guess I
would have to order a new one!?

So, hope Bob has better luck!

"Elizabeth Mabrey" <emabrey@storming-robots.com> wrote in message
hi, all,

I'm going to dig into my big cable/accessories bin to for my powered usb • hub
tonight.  I don't have a pc-usb card though.   Bob, please post if your • test
with the pc card work...
--
thank you very much...

I am having almost the same issues.  I want to share my story because • some
of
the key elements in your story match mine exactly:

Computer: Toshiba Satellite/WinXP/3-USB 2.0
RCX 1.0
USB tower
Software: RIS 2.0, SDK 2.5, Bricxcc (all have same results)
Problem:  Computer locks up when accessing the USB IR tower.  Light on • tower
comes on for a second or so, then the computer freezes.  Device manager • for the
USB tower checks out fine.

Possible solution:  It may be possible that the Toshiba people didn't • put
enough
power to the USB ports.  I will try using a PCMCIA USB card or a powered • USB hub
(if the PCMCIA card does not work).  Another possible solution I will • try
is
hacking the USB tower to accept alternate power sources (like the old • serial
tower did).