 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 232
Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:45:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, Elizabeth Mabrey wrote:
I truly suspect that the issue is the Toshiba hardware of this particular
laptop model.   I have 3 Dell desktops, 3 laptops.  They all have built in
usb ports, either 2.0 or 1.0.  They all work fine, with the identical setup
up, even with full power for the laptop ( i.e. hooked up to the wall
outlet).  I even tested with different usb 1.0 devices, such as video
camera, printer, etc. They all work fine with my other computers, but not
this toshiba model.  Also tested with LEGO original mindstorm rcx sofware.
Same symptom... what makes it really hard is that it crashes my laptop at
the very first attempt for connection between the rcx and the tower.

This sounds identical to the situation described by Rob Hendrix in
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=21605

Michael Anderson from LEGO suggested via email that the USB port may not be
giving the tower sufficient current.  Perhaps you could try a powered hub?

John Hansen