 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 233
Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:45:29 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, Elizabeth Mabrey wrote:
PC:  toshiba - P25 series model with four usb 2.0 ports, an bluetooth/wi-fi
capability, w/ infrared port built in as well.
IR Tower : usb
RCX : 1.0

Symptom:
- communication between the ir tower & laptop is fine... verified with the
device manager
- in the administrator/robolab screen, I selected usb#1 and attempted to
download the firmware. The IR Tower's green light is on for a while; I
assume it is attempting to communicate with the rcx. But no response.
- tested the identical tower and rcx with my other 3 boxes (one XP/laptop,
one XP/desktop, one Win2003/desktop). Communication between the tower and
rcx works just fine. These boxes have usb1.1 ports and have NO
bluetooth/wi-fi capability, havce NO infrared port built in.

Trouble Shooting:
- definitely not the tower, nor the rcx because they work fine with other
boxes;
- definitely not the external environment; because I even isolated them in a
black box during the test.
- definitely not power as both my laptop and the rcx connected to AC
adapter.
- not the usb compatibility problem because ir tower communicates fine with
the laptop, as indicated by the device manager, as well as the green light
from the tower as it attempted to download firmware.
- does not seem to be because of the bluetooth because I disabled the
bluetooth device thru the device manager.

pondered problem:
- what cause the rcx failing to communicate properly back to the tower?

Comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

--
thanks
EM

I am having almost the same issues.  I want to share my story because some of
the key elements in your story match mine exactly:

Computer: Toshiba Satellite/WinXP/3-USB 2.0
RCX 1.0
USB tower
Software: RIS 2.0, SDK 2.5, Bricxcc (all have same results)
Problem:  Computer locks up when accessing the USB IR tower.  Light on tower
comes on for a second or so, then the computer freezes.  Device manager for the
USB tower checks out fine.

Possible solution:  It may be possible that the Toshiba people didn't put enough
power to the USB ports.  I will try using a PCMCIA USB card or a powered USB hub
(if the PCMCIA card does not work).  Another possible solution I will try is
hacking the USB tower to accept alternate power sources (like the old serial
tower did).

Rob Hendrix