 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 191 (-20)
  Re: Download problem

I've looked at a couple of traces and it looks like the serial driver just stops receiving data after a certain point. One theory is that something happens (framing error or overflow), which then keeps the driver from relaying more information. I've (...) (25 years ago, 3-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Download problem

(...) Can someone send me a trace of the verbose output for the failure case on an NT machine? nqc -v -d program.nqc >output Perhaps I can figure out what's going wrong with the serial port. As an aside, does anyone have a snippet of boiler-plate (...) (25 years ago, 3-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Download problem

"Mario Ferrari" <mario.ferrari@edis.it> wrote in message news:FJ0Jpv.Mvp@lugnet.com... (...) Mario, I can try to download your long program with my Windows 2000 RC2 machine. Send me a copy if you want.... Ciao Carlo (25 years ago, 3-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Download problem

(...) I received an e-mail from "Mike Kory" <kory@advancenet.net> that says: ---...--- Howdy, I downloaded Mario's big program successfully 3 times in a row on my Win98 machine using the command line interface. So it seems like a problem with NT or (...) (25 years ago, 3-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Download problem

(...) Great! I found a Win95 machine and just performed some downloads. All of them completed with no problems. I compiled with NQC 2.0 and 1.x compatibility option. I'm not sure I understand the problems under NT, but at least now I can go on with (...) (25 years ago, 3-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Download problem

(...) Mario, I just loaded it 6 times in a row without a single error... How? I'm scared but I have to say it... I tried to load the program in Windows 95. There must be something in NT that is preventing to load big programs. I tried to check the (...) (25 years ago, 3-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Download problem

(...) Mario, I just loaded it 6 times in a row without a single error... How? I'm scared but I have to say it... I tried to load the program in Windows 95. There must be something in NT that is preventing to load big programs. I tried to check the (...) (25 years ago, 3-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Download problem

(...) Thanks for your help. Hope you're wrong, otherwise I have to dramatically downsize my program and make it a lot more stupid :-) Some more info on the problem: - The memory has been cleared before any attempt. - I tried both NQC 1.3 and NQC 2.0 (...) (25 years ago, 2-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Download problem

(...) programs with the Spirit.OCX. I coded a huge program, with lots of tasks and subroutines, and long stretches of code. When I try to download it, I get the dots and then AsyncronBrickError returns Error 2048 (not 100% certain about the number) (...) (25 years ago, 2-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.0 and some math questions

(...) You're right - I forgot the delay (that's what I get for typing code from memory). Yeah, 'test and set' is the best solution, but unfortunately the RCX doesn't have one. The bitflag stuff is a little ugly for my tastes, which is why NQC does (...) (25 years ago, 2-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.0 and some math questions

(...) Yes, |= is atomic. At the bytecode level you always OR from some source into a destination variable. Dave (25 years ago, 2-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.0 and some math questions

(...) This only works if |= is atomic, though. Is it? Cheers, Ben. -- (URL) grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: those who work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was less (...) (25 years ago, 2-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.0 and some math questions

Your proposed solution is susceptible to the "lockstep starvation" problem. Lockstep starvation happens when two tasks try to get the lock at the same time and execute the same code in lock step, like so: task 1: lock |= 2; task 2: lock |= 4; task (...) (25 years ago, 2-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Download problem

(...) I forgot to say I cleared the memory before my attempts, and checked it was actually cleared using the Tools -> Memory Map option. The problem is still there. In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Dave Baum writes: (...) No problem with the source. Just (...) (25 years ago, 2-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Download problem

(...) you don't want to send source, you can always compile it and send the binary... nqc -Ofoo.rcx foo.nqc Another alternative would be to download it in verbose mode and send me the log... nqc -v -d foo.nqc >log My email is dbaum@enteract.com Dave (...) (25 years ago, 2-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.0 and some math questions

(...) I'm going from memory here, so I may miss a detail... int lock; #define TASK_BIT(task_num) (1 << task_num) void acquire_lock(int task_num) { while(1) { // wait for lock to be clear while(lock); // try to own it lock |= TASK_BIT(task_num); // (...) (25 years ago, 2-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Download problem

Hi Mario, I've encountered some weird problems like this too. I think I was able to fix things up by erasing the memory. In RcxCC, use the Tools -> Clear Memory option. Please let us know if that works. Jonathan (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Download problem

Hi Dave and everybody, I have a strange problem with an NQC program. It's something Marco Beri and I are preparing for the Mindfest. The program is rather large if compared to the average NQC programs: about 240 lines of code with large inline (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.0 and some math questions

(...) There is a way to do it even if you have no test and set, though I can't remember it off the top of my head, and it is slow. Don't see how using bitflags helps? Cheers, Ben. -- (URL) grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.0 and some math questions

On semaphores... There was a lot of discussion a long time ago on whether NQC should use semaphores to protect temp variables between tasks. There isn't an atomic test-and-set bytecode, so the only way I know of implementing sempaphore would be to (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact