 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 184
Re: Download problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 23:13:29 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Ian Warfield writes:
[...snip...]
The only conclusion I can come to is that this is a bug in the RCX, since it
appears to be happening with both NQC and Spirit.OCX (and, since NQC doesn't
use the Spirit.OCX, this indicates that the problem doesn't lie with either of
them - Dave is off the hook).  Perhaps the RCX has a "download receive" buffer
that can overflow, and the transmitter can download faster than it empties
out.  Like you said, it doesn't happen with my short programs, only the really
long ones.

I'd be curious as to whether anyone else has experienced this problem.  It
might turn out to be the first reported bug with the RCX 1.0!

Thanks for your help. Hope you're wrong, otherwise I have to dramatically
downsize my program and make it a lot more stupid :-)

Some more info on the problem:
- The memory has been cleared before any attempt.
- I tried both NQC 1.3 and NQC 2.0 in 1.x compatibility mode (option -1): same
results.
- I succeded in completing just one of a new long series of attempted
downloads. After that, the free remaining memory of the RCX was about 2k of the
initial 6.
- Launching NQC from a console window instead of RcxCC, I can see that NQC
reports a communication problem with the IR tower.
- I tested two different Rcx units, both running from fresh batteries.
- Dave Baum reports he has no problem at all in downloading my program. He runs
NQC on a Mac, while I'm using a WinNT PC.

I'm short of ideas :-(
Anybody else would try to test my program? I could send it by e-mail to some
volunteers so we get a more general perspective of the problem.

Thanks
Mario