 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 186
Re: Download problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 01:39:35 GMT

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:59:57 GMT, "Mario Ferrari"
<mario.ferrari@edis.it> wrote:

Hi Dave and everybody,

I have a strange problem with an NQC program. It's something Marco Beri and
I are preparing for the Mindfest.

The program is rather large if compared to the average NQC programs: about
240 lines of code with large inline functions (I know this is not a very
precise way to measure the program size but just to give you an idea). The
problem is it compiles ok, but NQC is not able to download it. After some
"dots" NQC simply writes "error" and exits. The strange point is that the
download always stops in different points, and Marco was even able to
succesfully download it after some tries (I wasn't with more than 30 tries).
I tried both short and long range IR transmission.

Any idea?

Mario
http://www.geocities.com/~marioferrari

Mario,
I just loaded it 6 times in a row without a single error... How? I'm
scared but I have to say it... I tried to load the program in Windows
95. There must be something in NT that is preventing to load big
programs.

I tried to check the serial status before running nqc with command
MODE COM2:

Status for device COM2:
-----------------------
    Baud:            1200
    Parity:          Even
    Data Bits:       7
    Stop Bits:       1
    Timeout:         OFF
    XON/XOFF:        OFF
    CTS handshaking: OFF
    DSR handshaking: OFF
    DSR sensitivity: OFF
    DTR circuit:     ON
    RTS circuit:     ON

and after:

Status for device COM2:
-----------------------
    Baud:            2400
    Parity:          Odd
    Data Bits:       8
    Stop Bits:       1
    Timeout:         OFF
    XON/XOFF:        OFF
    CTS handshaking: OFF
    DSR handshaking: OFF
    DSR sensitivity: OFF
    DTR circuit:     ON
    RTS circuit:     OFF

Here is the firmdl.c code where it opens and uses the serial without a
glitch:

   ios.c_cflag = CREAD | CLOCAL | CS8 | PARENB | PARODD;
   cfsetispeed(&ios, B2400);
   cfsetospeed(&ios, B2400);
   tcsetattr(fd, TCSANOW, &ios);

And here is the code in NQC:

    dcb.BaudRate = speed;
    dcb.fBinary = 1;
    dcb.fOutxCtsFlow = 0;
    dcb.fOutxDsrFlow = 0;
    dcb.fDtrControl = DTR_CONTROL_ENABLE;       // DTR flow control
type
    dcb.fDsrSensitivity = 0;   // DSR sensitivity
    dcb.fTXContinueOnXoff = 0; // XOFF continues Tx
    dcb.fOutX = 0;            // XON/XOFF out flow control
    dcb.fInX = 0;             // XON/XOFF in flow control
    dcb.fErrorChar = 0;       // enable error replacement
    dcb.fNull = 0;            // enable null stripping
    dcb.fRtsControl = 0;       // RTS flow control
    dcb.fAbortOnError = 1;     // abort reads/writes on error
    dcb.XonLim = 100;
    dcb.XoffLim = 100;
    dcb.ByteSize = 8 - (opts & kPSerial_DataMask);
    dcb.Parity = (opts & kPSerial_ParityMask) >> kPSerial_ParityShift;
    dcb.StopBits = ((opts & kPSerial_StopMask) >> kPSerial_StopShift);
// 0,1,2
    dcb.XonChar = 1;
    dcb.XoffChar = 2;
    dcb.ErrorChar = 0;
    dcb.EofChar = 0;
    dcb.EvtChar = 0;
    return SetCommState(fFile, &dcb);

What do you think? Wouldn't it be better to have some command line
parameter to overload the previous behaviour?

Ciao.
Marco.