 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 180
Re: NQC 2.0 and some math questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 10:42:32 GMT

Dave Baum wrote:

In article <37F47D52.204EC5C6@algroup.co.uk>, Ben Laurie
<ben@algroup.co.uk> wrote:

Dave Baum wrote:
There isn't an atomic test-and-set bytecode, so the only way I know of
implementing sempaphore would be to use bitflags and assign one bit per
task.

There is a way to do it even if you have no test and set, though I can't
remember it off the top of my head, and it is slow. Don't see how using
bitflags helps?

I'm going from memory here, so I may miss a detail...

int lock;
#define TASK_BIT(task_num)  (1 << task_num)

void acquire_lock(int task_num)
{
  while(1)
  {
    // wait for lock to be clear
    while(lock);

    // try to own it
    lock |= TASK_BIT(task_num);

    // see if we own it
    if (lock == TASK_BIT(task_num))
      return;
    else
      lock &= ~TASK_BIT(task_num);
  }
}

-----

You try to acquire the lock by setting your task's bit.  The lock is only
successful if after setting the bit, your bit is the only one set.  If
another task started to lock it in between your set and test, then your
test would fail.  Conversely, if the other task sets after you have
completely locked, then their test will fail.

You release the lock by setting it to 0 (or perhaps just clearing your bit).

This only works if |= is atomic, though. Is it?

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html