 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 724
Re: rotation sensor mystery solved?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:41:00 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Martin Cornelius writes:

Hi Ben, i think that's very interesting work you're doing, especially
because i'd like to build sophisticated balancing bots, and already got
2 rotation sensors from lego world shop for this reason.

That's one of the reasons I got mine.  I was trying to make a simple balancer
when I built the pendulum I described (with 4.5 degree accuracy).  There were a
lot of problems with my mechanism, but the overriding problem was that the 0
point would change and leave the program in a state where it was deliberately
unbalancing the rod.

95% of those problems went away when I chagned the ad2state table, but that's
still not good enough for a bot that's trying to balance, since one unit off is
enough to lose control.

but if you have patches to the rotation sensor code - i'm
highly interested in that.

What's the right way to submit patches to legOS?  Do I post unidiffs to
lugnet?  Email them to you and Marcus?

This gearbox will yield a resolution of 4.5 degrees, if i got that
right. For the balancing controllers i'm currently thinking of that
might not be fine grained enough. Have you tried to achieve higher
resolutions ?

I've built multipliers of higher degree but I didn't have rotation sensors at
the time.  40->8 * 40->8 * 40->8 = 125x seems like the most likely candidate.
I tried building with 40->24 sets (expecting smaller backlash from the 24t than
the 8t) but a 5/3 multiplier doesn't build up very fast (you need 9 pairs to
get 100x!).

--Ben