 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 705
Re: rotation sensor mystery solved?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:44:18 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Ben Jackson writes:
It turns out that the resistance of the ~100cm
long wire I was using to connect the sensor was enough to move all of the
sensor results off from what the `ad2state' array expected

When I wrote my original post I was afraid that major surgery was going to be
required to fix this.  The values with an extension wire are actually shifted
into formerly invalid slots which are contiguous with the existing state
groups.  So the old state table probably covered directly and indirectly
connected sensors with fresh batteries.  With my batteries down to 8.6v and the
rotation sensor connected by an extension the values moved too far for the old
table.  This version does very well (in dsensor.c):

static const signed char ad2state[16]={
  // 0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f   // (sensor value>>12)
    -1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 1, 1, 1, 0
};

It is possible that even lower battery voltages could cause the states to
overlap, but I haven't tested that.

--Ben