 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2660
Re: Re: Scheduler patch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 06:28:47 GMT

Joe

I think proportional timeslicing would be a nice thing if the implementation
would be efficient and straightforward. I don't consider my patch to be
that. Would still be nice to see a snippet of your code.

How do the other kernel developers feel about proportional timeslicing? Is
it really necessary?

Once again I wonder about the progress of the sensor handling rewriting. I
think this would be the most important change for the new version of LegOS.

/Joel

I have found that using proportional timeslicing works great in many
situations.  It is more forgiving for new developers, since a "runaway"
process will not block processes of lower priority.

(runaway process used here to mean a process which never sleeps... never
enters a wait state)

All tasks run according to their priority... with one exception.  The idle
task only runs if all processes are sleeping.  In my implementation, when
the process pointer hits the idle process, it resets to the top of the list.
Then if the idle task is hit again with no other processes ready to run, it
executes the idle task.  Sorry, I am rambling...

As for runaway processes, of course it is always more efficient to sleep a
process when it is waiting for something; but using proportional timeslicing
is more forgiving if you forget.

// Joe

"Joel Uddén" <afroo@ul.shacknet.nu> wrote in message
Well, actually not :)

If users don't want proportional timeslicing the patch is completly • useless,
but if they do, it might be usefull.

/Joel

Do you have some examples where your patch could be useful?

Eric