 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2661
Re: Linux, Cygwin, DJGPP: what is it all about?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:32:52 GMT

Steve,

What exactly needs to be done to 'upgrade' DJGPP to work with the new
LegOS?

I have been looking into this (in between spending time with my family who
is town and sneaking on the computer when my wife is not looking).
Basically I don't know yet.  If you search this newsgroup there is an
individual Rossz Vamos-Wentworth who did I believe most of the work to
accomplish the use of DJGPP and legOS.  There is a refernce on the legOS @
sourceforge homepage (http://legos.sourceforge.net/files/windows/djgpp/) to
his web page.  But with one ISP eating up another this appears to be lost.
Others might have saved this and I have not yet asked (anyone?). What I am
looking at now is a google serach both on the old deja news archives
(www.deja.com) and just a general web search on google.  The best terms I
have found to do this are search on "h8300 DJGPP".  Other terms like
"hitachi" and "rossz" turn up alot of unrelated information.  So if you are
interested feel free to look too.

Are these same changes required for cygwin?

Don't know yet. I don't think so?

I assume the 'unix' part of this is done by the "LegOS Team", which means
it works with Cygwin, but now someone (like Ed) needs to do the same work
for DJGPP.

If anyone has any clue what I'm talking about, please tell me if I'm right • or wrong.  This is starting to make sense.

I think I am following your thoughts here.  But a correction from an earlier
post.  The legOS team is not a Unix only group.  I became a member because I
was interested in autocode generation for embedded systems using MATLAB and
Simulink (www.mathworks.com).  I am a "windows user" although I have used
Unix in a very basic manner at the university level. For the most part I
believe the current set of developers are Unix people.  IMHO this is for a
whole host of reason which I am not going to spend time writing down.  But
as I said before this "project" is voluntary and thus when someone wants to
accomplish something the do it. And since we all have limited knowledge (or
we want show how smart we are:) we go out and find others to work with or
similar interests.  I would suggest you read Linus Torvalds, creator of
Linux, autobiography.  It explains the open source community (from his
viewpoint) and also this banding together of developers to do interesting
things.

Ed