 Robotics / RCX / 2751
Re: BricxCC release 3.3.7.10
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:54:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
Many thanks for your commitment with NQC and BricxXX !

Version 3.3.7.10 has a revised help system (not entirely complete).
Where are those modifications?

Nearly all the dialogs in BricxCC now sport "What's This?" help.  The "not
entirely complete" part means that I haven't written the help text entries for
every control on every dialog.  Or, more accurately, I have written just a few
of the help text entries for some of the controls on a few of the dialogs.  Most
of them just show the "default" text which happens to be the component name in
Delphi.

Most dialogs now also have a "Help" button which works in conjunction with the
"What's This?" help.  Pressing F1 used to bring up the normal help page.  Now it
invokes "What's This?" help on the selected component.  So the Help button is
used to bring up the normal help page.

Lots of the "new" features in BricxCC which have been there for years now were
never documented until the recent unofficial releases in swan_test.zip and now
in the official release of version 3.3.7.10.  Now at least they have an entry in
the Contents hierarchy and a help text page that is a placeholder for the actual
text that I haven't completely written yet.  During the past year it has been
hard to justify the time to write all the needed help text when I hear hardly
any response to test releases with new or enhanced features.  Instead I've spent
my spare programming time writing programs to help my 12 year old daughter in
special education improve her reading skills.

If someone wants to help me write the rest of the help text I would be extremely
grateful.

It now supports
tabbed windows in addition to the old MDI mode for editor windows.
That's much more convenient indeed!

Thanks.  I just noticed shortly after the release that there is an issue with
focus when double clicking on the Code Explorer window which doesn't exist in
MDI mode.

The data analysis dialog lets you add series to the graph which are
calculated as a function of other series.
Is it possible to remove a calculated series when no longer needed?

It is not currently possible to remove a calculated series.  I will look into
adding that functionality if people feel like it would be a highly useful
feature.

P.S. If you like the improved XP look and feel let me know.  The silence in
response to previous releases has been disheartening.

Be assured that a lot of people (me for example!) really appreciate your work!

Thanks for your feedback.  I just wish I could figure out why fast firmware
downloads don't work for you.  Try increasing the new Wait Time setting via
Edit|Preferences and let me know if it helps at all.

I've had one report that under XP with the serial IR tower a user is having
trouble with all communication with the RCX brick with release 3.3.7.10 but not
3.3.7.7 and that the latest release works under Win98 with the same hardware.
Has anyone else had widespread problems with brick communication in BricxCC
under XP with the serial tower using any release since 3.3.7.7?

John Hansen