 Robotics / RCX / 2091
Re: DCC for the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 03:43:12 GMT

When I installed my first decoders (Digitrax DN121), I omitted
the capacitors, figuring if the buzzing was annoying, I could always
add them later.  As it turns out, there is a little buzzing at low
speeds, but it is not annoying to me (YMMV).  In fact, for my
diesels, it sounds like a low grumbling which reminds me of the low
"thrumming" you get as the prototype leaves the yard.  I just
installed a DZ143, and it buzzes at about half the volume of the
DN121s.

I don't install them either, and I have done something like 30 motors so far.

If you are referring to Tom's L-Gauge page, the resistor is
used for the headlight to lower the ~12V DCC voltage to 9V
for use with a standard Lego lamp brick.  I didn't need to
use this resistor since the RCX is already putting out about
9V.

True, but ONLY if you are just going to use the RCX as a output.  You can dial
the voltage that DB100's (and most other Digitrax) boosters put out to a exact
voltage as well, however it is something I haven't worried about yet.  For the
most part, this does limit the range of useable speed with a unprogrammed
decoder to the lower 1/2 of the scale.

I did however, add a diode in parallel with the lamp output
in case I decide to run an inductive load such as a
relay or motor on the lamp output.

I have gotten away with the lego motors so far.  However, YMMV :)  and no, I
don't put diodes on them.

James P