 Robotics / RCX / 2107
Re: DCC for the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2003 03:58:06 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Mark Riley wrote:

<snip>

Got the programming part--all motors on differnt Loco #'s--figured it out.

[sigh of relief] Glad you got it working.  I was a little worried because
I haven't tested the code with a Lenz decoder yet.  If there was any
section of the documentation that caused confusion, please email me.
DCC can get kinda technical with all the CVs and terminology, so it
is a nightmare to document.

This is what I did to make it work for me...

All my microcontrollers out of the bag were on "loco 3"--that is when I used the
remote, all 3 motors worked when I used the C up/down and 3 button for the
light.

So putting one motor on the track at a time, I went to Loco, selected 1, then
changed the value to 1.  then I went into physical CV1 and also set it to 1.

Under phys you can 'dump' the info to the microcontroller by pressing P3.  In
Loco you can't commit the data to the microcontroller--that is what was screwing
me up for a while.

Anyway, then I put the 2nd motor and followed the same procedure, but used loco
2 and CV1 = 2

and 3 was loco 3 and CV1 = 3.  After committing data to the microcontroller via
pressing P3 under Phys, it took.  Now all motors are on their own channel.

I may go pick up another microcontoller and do my last LEGO motor, but we'll
see--3 on my layout is a little much as it is :)

But I'm sold.  It works wonderfully.  I *may* try to get a help doc together for
ya (if I have time b/w work and NMRA and rtl15 and .... well, life in general...
:) )

Playing more though.  I'll keep you posted.

Dave K

I wouldn't mind building that Ack circuit though, so any advice on using hte
LEGO diodes would be helpful.

You know what, skip the diodes in the acknowledgement
circuit.  They were there because older versions of the
circuit needed it and the older software worked differently.
So, now all you need is one or two 1K resistors depending
on which version of the circuit you build.  I need to update
my site on this.

BTW, version 1.01 is available now!  :-)

I'll download...

I'm having a great time--and by the way, as mentioned on the site--you can get
the trains to smash--I see broken LEGO coming up ;)

Yes, it is surprisingly easy, especially with cross tracks.  Around
here, it usually signifies it's time to hand the remote over to the next
little engineer waiting on the side lines...

Mark