 Robotics / RCX / 2089
Re: DCC for the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 22:56:09 GMT

"David Koudys" <dkoudys@redeemer.on.ca> wrote:

The Diode--any diode will do?  and just solder it across the connector
output?

Dave,

I used a 1N4002.  It's a fairly common 1 amp switching diode.

Here's a picture from my latest decoder install:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/markril/Trains/DCC/decoder1.jpg

Note that the banded end of the diode gets the blue lead from the
decoder.  The unbanded end gets the white lead.  If you're going to use
a DN121 decoder, you'll connect both the white and yellow leads
to the unbanded end.  This is unnecessary for the DZ143 (pictured here)
since it has better control over the light outputs.

The DZ143 has 3 other light outputs that are currently unused.  I
plan on adding a connector to these leads (which I left uncut) so
I can add more lighting effects to some of my locos.

BTW, DCC is just great for gadget freaks like myself! :-)

Mark