 Robotics / RCX / 1942
1941  |  1943
Subject:
usb to ris 1.x rcx ir how
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 20:45:12 GMT

How do I connect USB to the IR of a 1.x RIS RCX?

What hardware should I buy, from whom?

Currently I'm reaching the RCX via IR via serial from a PC.  But I'd rather
be using the USB only, no serial, of some "legacy-free" Apple Mac's bought
between 1998 and 2001, running Mac OS 9 or X.

I have the serial to IR adapter of the 1.x RIS ... but I don't want to use
it, as I see so often suggested on the web.

My reasons include: 1) The less hardware I have to carry with me, the
better.  2) If I solve USB to RCX independently, then I have two completely
redundant solutions: when one dies, I can go fetch and then use the other.
3) Why pay for 9V batteries when instead I could pass power thru a USB cable?

So I ask:

How do I connect USB to the IR of a 1.x RIS RCX?  What hardware should I
buy, from whom?

Thanks in advance, Pat LaVarre

P.S.

http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/?q=usb+to+ris+1.x+rcx+ir+how&s=r
suggested:

http://www.pldstore.com/pitsco2_30/finditem.cfm?itemid=246
Infrared Transmitter (PC and MAC)
W979783    Infrared Transmitter (USB)   US$29.99

via:
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/?n=1416
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/?n=1473