 Robotics / RCX / 1945
Re: usb to ris 1.x rcx ir how
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:19:11 GMT

How do I connect USB to the IR of a 1.x RIS RCX?
What hardware should I buy, from whom?

Do you mean use an RCX 1.0 with a USB IR tower?

Yes or no, sorry, depending on what we mean by "a USB IR tower".  If I may
try again, I mean to ask:

What should I buy in place of the USB IR tower of an entirely new RIS 2.0 kit?

I bought an RIS 1.5 kit in 2001, I'm now beginning to lose my PC's legacy
serial port, I don't want to pay now for an entirely new RIS 2.0 kit, just
so I can continue to use my RIS 1.5.  For Lego to demand I pay for a whole
new kit I find unreasonable.

I've never seen the USR IR tower of the RIS 2.0 kit.  How easily replaceable
is it?  How interchangeable is it with other USB/IR bridges?

If with an RIS 1.5 I want to use USB RCX software from outside Lego, like
NQC, LeJOS, etc. ... what hardware do I need?

How do I connect USB to the IR of a 1.x RIS RCX?

The PC software, however, must support USB, and I
don't think the RIS 1.0 software does.

I hear you saying that when I lose my PC serial port I might have to give up
using Lego software, since Lego rudely won't fix for free what they sold me
before to talk USB as well as serial.

I'm ok with that, since when I lose my serial port I also lose my PC.
Specifically, I end up with the Unix of Mac OS X instead, where Lego
software rudely doesn't run, unless I pay to add some awkward patch like a
Connectix Virtual PC.

Can I somehow buy just the USB IR tower from Lego?

Cluelessly, curiously, thankfully yours.    Pat LaVarre