 Robotics / RCX / 1946
Re: usb to ris 1.x rcx ir how
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:41:22 GMT

Lego's IR protocol is proprietary, similar to that used by remote controls.
This means that USB/IrDA bridges will not work, nor will the IrDA ports of
laptop computers. If you have a universal remote which connects to your
computer, you might be able to get that to work, but it would involve some C
programming.

Realistically, your only options are

1. Use a USB/serial port converter with your serial Ir tower. The only ones
with MacOS X drivers are made by Keyspan.

2. Buy a USB IR tower from Lego. In the US, you can get one from Lego/Dacta;
in the rest of the world it's more difficult, but you may have some luck
contacting Lego shop at home.

3. Buy an RIS 2.0 kit.

I went for option 3, but I was looking for an excuse to get a second RCX anyway.

If you are moving to MacOS X, may I humbly recommend Robot Controller? Download:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/b.hilken

Barney.