 Robotics / RCX / 1954
Re: usb to ris 1.x rcx ir how
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 15:00:30 GMT

From: [offline]
Date: Wed, Feb 5, 2003 8:18am ...
you haven't heard of the software upgrade

Not in any detail.  Please can someone elaborate?

From: [offline]
Date: Wed, Feb 5, 2003 11:52am ...
I have been bothered lately when reading responses
to your posts.  It seems that most people are not
getting the idea ...

I am so glad that you have stuck with it, since the
answers usually have come out in the end.

Thanks for saying, sorry I need help rewording these questions to get them to
be more absolutely unambiguous.

From: [offline]
Date: Wed, Feb 5, 2003 8:18am ...
Your best fix is probably to buy the 2.0 software
and a USB tower. That's what I did and the 1.5 RCX
works fine with the new software.

Can I somehow fix the Lego software for dramatically less than an entirely new
RIS 2.0 kit?  I don't want to pay for an entirely new kit of robot parts, I
just want to keep using the kit I have, as the Serial port quietly dies away.

By the way it is hard enough to support current
hardware with a software or hardware product.
Expecting LEGO to support future hardware is a
little silly.

Sorry I was unclear, thanks for saying I was.

The IP model I understand is the book model.  I buy the book, I use the book.
If I use it enough, or if I just wait enough decades, it falls apart and I buy
a new one.  But I don't find that the ink goes invisible every two years.  And
I can resell the book when I tire of rereading it.

Me, I bought my Lego Mindstorms in 2001.  USB had been already ubiquitous in
new PC's by 1998 when the legacy-free iMac came out.  What can I see in Lego
Mindstorms except planned obsolescence.  USB is Not New.  It is Serial that is
antique, and was already dying.

If/when I do find an upgrade, I might buy it to eliminate hassle from my life,
but yes I see having to pay to keep my RCX connected as extortion.  I don't
mind being left free to choose to pay for new features or not.  What I mind is
not having a free fix downloadable.  Copyright demons out of control, I call it.

Maybe this turns on whether talking Usb in place of Serial is a Bug Fix or a
New Feature.  I don't mind agreeing to disagree over which it is, especially
since me thinking it is a Bug Fix doesn't actually discount Lego prices one
cent.

Interestingly enough, I don't mind buying a USB/IR adapter in hardware.  It
just annoys me that the Lego software I bought is so hardware-specific, so
committed to the dead Serial hardware, that the Lego software chokes when I try
to substitute Usb hardware.

I do have a route free of this common practice of extortion by software upgrade
in that I could buy the USB/Serial adapter to plug into my USB/IR adapter ...
but if I'm going to have to buy hardware, well then of course I'd rather buy
better hardware.

I'm thinking the USB/IR adapter is better hardware because it needs no
batteries, or less batteries, than the USB/Serial * Serial/IR solution.  Is
that wrong thinking?

a free fix downloadable

To my ignorant mind, it seems the Lego software has been reverse engineered to
the point we could patch it so it works.  Is a file named Spirit.ocx the issue?
Does gcc let us roll our own substitute Spirit.ocx?

I don't want to pay for a new robot, I just want
to keep using the one I have.

I'm trying to understand what my least painful, most fun, option is.

Cluelessly, curiously, thankfully yours, Pat LaVarre