 Robotics / RCX / 1952
Re: usb to ris 1.x rcx ir how
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 14:14:36 GMT

What should I buy in place of the USB IR tower of
an entirely new RIS 2.0 kit?

Realistically, your only options are ...
USB/serial port converter ...
USB IR tower from Lego ...
RIS 2.0 kit ...

Thanks for saying.

USB IR tower from Lego ...
In the US, ... Lego/Dacta ...

I'm often in the US, thanks for asking.

Is an example of "Lego/Dacta" such a thing as:
http://www.pldstore.com/pitsco2_30/finditem.cfm?itemid=246
Infrared Transmitter (PC and MAC)
W979783    Infrared Transmitter (USB)   US$29.99
?

I ask because, searching the web again now, I first reached the loop:

http://www.google.com/search?q=lego+dacta
http://www.lego.com/dacta/
http://mindstorms.lego.com/eng/default.asp

Yet in passing this yielded the jargon "IR transmitter", so:

http://www.google.com/search?q=lego+dacta+IR+transmission
http://www.lego.com/dacta/products/productdetail.asp?number=9713

But that's just the "Infrared Transmitter with Serial Cable", not the USB/IR
adapter I want, so:

http://www.google.com/search?q=lego+dacta+infrared+transmitter
http://www.pitsco-legodacta.com/products/mac.htm
http://www.pldstore.com/pitsco2_30/finditem.cfm?itemid=246

Thus my question, is Pitsco an alias of, or some other kind of intersection
with, "Lego Dacta".

a universal remote which connects to your computer,
might ... work ... would involve some C programming.

I can & do write .c, for example because Knoppix Linux ships with gcc and no
javac.  But I'd rather solve this in .java, since Mac OS X ships with javac and
no gcc and Windows ships with neither.  But I think I can't solve this in .java
alone.  To connect .java to USB, I think I'll need a shared library built from
.c: as yet there is no javax.comm for USB.  I suppose I'll resort to using the
gcc from the Mac OS X "Developer's Disk" option included in Mac OS X releases
by Apple.

What should I buy in place of the USB IR tower of
an entirely new RIS 2.0 kit?

Thanks again in advance, Pat LaVarre