 Robotics / Palm Computing / 25
    Training OmniRemote for RCX commands —Ed McGlynn
   Hello - I've downloaded and implemented Robert Eddings' OmniRemote.PDB to my Palm IIIx, but I'm going to retrain the buttons, as some don't work, and some work intermittently. Robert has noted that training the OmniRemote was not consistant - do you (...) (25 years ago, 8-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.palm)

        Re: Training OmniRemote for RCX commands —Robert Eddings
   Hi Ed, I have found that training OmniRemote works best if you don't hold the Palm too close to the LEGO IR tower and the room is dim. When you train OmniRemote the settings are updated in the OmniRemote.PDB file (the program file is Remote.PRC). (...) (25 years ago, 8-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.palm)

        Re: Training OmniRemote for RCX commands —Ed McGlynn
   (...) OK - dim it shall be. (...) Oh yeah...I forgot about that feature. It's in the backup folder of my account folder. (...) Cool! I'm not sure it will be better, though. (...) Thanks, Robert! Ed (25 years ago, 8-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.palm)

        Re: Training OmniRemote for RCX commands —Ed McGlynn
   (...) Robert, Well, so far I've only matched your efforts, and I'm unable to improve upon them. I definitely see how flakey the training procedure may be interpreted by the OmniRemote. It appears that the protocol from the RCX transmitter tower is (...) (25 years ago, 10-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.palm)

        Re: Training OmniRemote for RCX commands —Mike Kory
   snip... (...) I don't have OmniRemote but this may help. The normal RCX commands are not consistent. When you send the same command repeatedly, the command is slightly different on alternate commands. In other words the first time it sends "A" then (...) (25 years ago, 10-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.palm)

        Re: Training OmniRemote for RCX commands —Robert Eddings
   (...) That's good advice. I forgot to mention to Ed that having the RCX on will confuse OmniRemote because of the return IR from the RCX. The problem I have found with using the LEGO remote commands to train OmniRemote is the final d2 command (...) (25 years ago, 10-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.palm)

   I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think you need the button release command if you are just using motor control commands. Mike Robert Eddings <webmake@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:38513125.D77D9B...uth.net... (...) command (...) "B" (...) (...) (25 years ago, 10-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.palm)

        Re: Training OmniRemote for RCX commands —Ed McGlynn
   Mike, Robert - Thanks for your wealth of insight on this. I'm starting to come up to speed, I think. So, the RCX is acknowledging the IR tower command string, based on receipt of a EOS of some sort, perhaps, and OmniRemote can't process that ACK? (...) (25 years ago, 11-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.palm)

        Re: Training OmniRemote for RCX commands —Mike Kory
     Ed, yes the RCX is acknowledging most commands. It does not do this with the commands used in LRemote ((URL) -- I'm stuck on the old name too, for the same reason). The motor commands used in LRemote are repeating commands. As long as you hold down (...) (25 years ago, 12-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.palm)

         Re: Training OmniRemote for RCX commands —Robert Eddings
      Mike, You beat my response by 3 minutes and we said basically the same thing. We've been working on the same things for so long we are starting to think alike. Scary huh?! :) Robert (25 years ago, 12-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.palm)

          Re: Training OmniRemote for RCX commands —Mike Kory
      yes. Thanks for the nice words though. By the way I've given more thought to using the built in IR. I think we need to access the hardware directly to do it though. OmniRemote accesses the hardware directly too. I'm waiting for the color version of (...) (25 years ago, 12-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.palm)

         Re: Training OmniRemote for RCX commands —Ed McGlynn
     (...) OK. (...) Yes, I do. That's going to be my next step. (...) OK. Thanks for the appropriate re-direction. No sense wasting time figuring out another protocol just yet if it doesn't even come into play. (...) I'm working on a layout to publish (...) (25 years ago, 13-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.palm)

        Re: Training OmniRemote for RCX commands —Robert Eddings
   Ed, LEGO does not use IrDA protocol but this is not the problem with OmniRemote. OmniRemote simply records any IR it detects at training and transmits a copy of the signals no matter what format they are in. I believe the two main problems with (...) (25 years ago, 12-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.palm)

        Re: Training OmniRemote for RCX commands —Ed McGlynn
   (...) I see. So OmniRemote isn't generic enough to handle all codes from any IR device? I guess that would create a lot of overhead that the developer of OmniRemote doesn't need to get involved with, if they just want to remain in the context of (...) (25 years ago, 13-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.palm)