 Robotics / Palm Computing / 34
Re: Training OmniRemote for RCX commands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.palm
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 01:43:13 GMT

Ed,

LEGO does not use IrDA protocol but this is not the problem with
OmniRemote. OmniRemote simply records any IR it detects at training and
transmits a copy of the signals no matter what format they are in. I
believe the two main problems with training are:

[1] Recording a usable IR signal from an unknown source sent at an
unknown baud rate is very difficult to do. Like I've said, that it works
at all is amazing. The task of recording a clean signal consistently may
be too much to ask from OmniRemote.

[2] Additional IR information that OmniRemote doesn't need makes getting
a clean signal harder, such as RCX link and return codes.

I may write a program to send clean RCX commands to the LEGO IR tower so
that OmniRemote has the best chance to get a clean signal. I have way
too many projects going so I wouldn't count on that being soon though.

As far as controlling your trains, if you don't know about them already,
you need to check out Mike Kory's programs at:
http://www.advancenet.net/~kory/pilot
LRemote is for straight forward motor control and BrickRemote is for
advanced control. These programs use the LEGO IR tower connected
directly to the Palm so the IR range is great. I have tested these
programs. They are easy to use and send consistent IR signals.

Robert