 Robotics / Palm Computing / 33
Re: Training OmniRemote for RCX commands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.palm
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 01:40:43 GMT

Ed,
yes the RCX is acknowledging most commands. It does not do this with the
commands used in LRemote (http://www.advancenet.net/~kory/pilot/  -- I'm
stuck on the old name too, for the same reason).
The motor commands used in LRemote are repeating commands. As long as you
hold down the button, the commands are sent. When you release the button,
the commands stop sending and the bot stops.

Do you have a way to train using these commands (a Lego remote, or two
Pilots--one to run LRemote and one to train)?

IrDA is not compatible, you wont get any insight going to those sites.

I've just ordered a train to put under our xmas tree. I'm quite interested
in hearing what you are doing to control the trains.

Mike

Ed McGlynn <ejmcglynn@juno.com> wrote in message
Mike, Robert -

Thanks for your wealth of insight on this.  I'm starting to come up to • speed,
I think.
So, the RCX is acknowledging the IR tower command string, based on receipt • of
a EOS of some sort, perhaps, and OmniRemote can't process that ACK?  I'll
re-read your posts again, and check out IrDA protocol sites to get a • handle on
this.  Or, maybe LEGO just uses it's own protocol that OmniRemote can't
100% emunlate through a training session.  I think you've both discussed • the
need for low-level IR command processing on the Pilot - sorry - old trade
name, I know, but I've had one since their initial retail release and I • can't
give up old ways.

Thanks again, and I'm off to tinker a bit more...

...by the way, my goal is a remote controlled LEGO train layout for some
upcoming model train shows I'll be attending.  It helps to promote LEGO in • any
cool way you can think of.  While lots of people comment to me "I didn't • know
LEGO made trains" I want to go beyond that and have them say "I didn't • know
LEGO made trains - and you can control them remotely with a Pilot!"

Ed

In lugnet.robotics.palm, Mike Kory writes:
I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think you need the button release • command
if you are just using motor control commands.
Mike

Robert Eddings <webmake@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
Mike Kory wrote:
I don't have OmniRemote but this may help.
The normal RCX commands are not consistent. When you send the same • command
repeatedly, the command is slightly different on alternate commands. • In
other words the first time it sends "A" then "B" then back to "A" • then
"B"
etc. Also, the RCX sends commands back to the Tower on normal • commands.
This
may also cause some confusion.

If you use the Remote Control commands you can get around all of • these
problems. They are always the same and the RCX doesn't send a • response.

--Mike

That's good advice. I forgot to mention to Ed that having the RCX on
will confuse OmniRemote because of the return IR from the RCX. The
problem I have found with using the LEGO remote commands to train
OmniRemote is the final d2 command (0x0000) that is needed at the end • of
the command chain. The LEGO remote control repeats the action command
while the button is pressed and then sends the 0x0000 on button • release.
OmniRemote cannot duplicate this because it does not send "on button
release" signals. OmniRemote does allow macro commands to be assigned • to
buttons but I don't see how this could help.

Robert Eddings