 Robotics / Events / 9
Re: Contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 17:09:09 GMT

The Cybermaster does not appear to be robust enough to handle this sort of
challenge.

It isn't! That's the real challenge!! :-)

I'm not the organizer of this event, so I can't say that
Cybermasters aren't allowed, but if the only way to get the Cybermaster to
do anything as intricate as what this
contest demands is to allow a computer to control it, then my vote would be
to simply not allow the Cybermaster.  Using computer control would render
the challenge of trying to develop a useful program within the constraints
of the RIS moot.  A full blown
mapping program could be developed on a PC and the PC could do all the work,
with the 'bot only responding to remote commands from the PC.  If this is to
be allowed, then there should be two categories of entrants, those with PC's
and those without.

I don't know if you intend to use the standard firmware, but in the CyberMaster I don't even have that choice.
The CyberMaster and the PC were made to work as one. For one thing, without floating point numbers, sin/cos functions or some sort of lookup table (which is also impossible), is not possible to make out anything useful out of the tacho readings.
My intent was NOT to make the CyberMaster work as a radio controlled car, was only to use the PC to help the unit.

I think the most difficult part for RIS going to be to return to the
starting place with the can (Humm... maybe not), while in the CyberMaster
the most difficult part is probably finding the can and manage to make
anything useful out of the parts we have.

True   I haven't figured out a solution for this myself yet either. (at
least not one that doesn't require tethering the 'bot to the start , or an
IR homing beacon of some sort placed in the start area so it can find it.)

If you call to use the Tachos cheating (which sounded like when you said one can't use the PC), then markings on the floor, using colored cans and colored walls, homing beacons and the light sensor is what!?
Seems to me that is more difficult to implement an efficient mapping system and make it cooperate with the unit than these "cheats" all together...

Laurentino Martins

[mailto:lau@mail.telepac.pt]
[http://www.terravista.pt/Enseada/2808/]