 Robotics / CyberMaster / 19
Re: Increasing the range of the radio signal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.cybermaster
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 13:00:48 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.cybermaster, Anders Isaksson writes:
Johannes Keukelaar skrev i meddelandet ...
[...]
If you read the thread I referenced before, you'll see that Anders
Isaksson _specifically_ claimed success with 1.2V recharable
batteries. I don't know if he tested the communication range, but only
2-3 meters of range seems rather obvious.

We did some tests when the kit was new (almost a year ago now!), and we had
communications working from first to second floor (old house, no cement or
iron in the walls, just a brick chimney in the middle) - it must have been
10-12 meters real distance at least. That was just sensor reading, no motors
running. We could even take the CM out of the house, and still read sensors
from inside.

Later I found, by running joystick drive in RCXcc, that the CM started to
behave funny at shorter distances (5 - 7 meters, but I don't know the state of
the batteries at the time), so probably running the motors diminishes the
range.

It could be (I don't remember now) that our very first distance tests was made
with 1.5V batteries, but since the first lot ran out, we have only used 1.2V
rechargeables, and no big problems.

I have noticed a great difference of range depending on the placement of the
tower - the more away from the monitor, the better it seems to work,
preferably down on the floor (I don't know why). It's also important that the
antennas are properly mounted. Has anyone tried with different antennas?

There was a thread on .robotics at the time, but I'm not online, so I cannot
search lugnet for it.

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery.htm

If I use the Pilot Center of the LEGO's CD-ROM I can scan the battery status
of the CM. On using the rechargable batteries the control shows a low battery
status also on just refreshed batteries...
So the action radius was about a maximum of 3...4 meters an d the connection
was interrupted seveal times.
My measurements are on using the called control center and running two motors
of the CM. Perhaps there are really low battery voltage on using rechargeable
batteries...

Regards,
Falk