 Robotics / 8223
8222  |  8224
Subject:
Line Following by Humans versus Bots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 01:26:32 GMT

For some reason, bots are compelled to follow a single line. Whereas
humans typically keep within two parallel lines when they drive.
However, when they are inebriated, humans may try to emulate the bot,
often with disastrous results.

There exist line tracking algorithms for bots using 1, 2 or even 3 light
sensors to follow a single line. None appears to be entirely
satisfactory. Humans, on the other hand, seem to be able to stay within
parallel lines pretty well with just a pair of visual sensors coupled to
a central processor.

I wonder if bots were made to follow parallel lines the way we humans
do, would just 2 light sensors be necessary and sufficient for the
purpose? And would the bot move smoothly without jerking to and fro like
a druken driver?

--
C S Soh

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~cssoh