 Robotics / 8322
Re: Jumping 'bots?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:47:23 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Christian Jacobsen) writes:

I have seen treaded robots, wheeled robots, walking robots, and even flying
and bungee jumping RCX's...

...but I have not seen any "jumping" robots.  I am thinking about something
with a frog-like action.

I remember a Scientific American article from a decade or so back on walking
bots. (I’m now getting close the point where I’ll be reading the “25 Years
Ago” articles for the second time, looking forward to that.) As I remember
they discussed hexapod motion at length, it being relatively easy since you
can always have a stable tripod, and more or less skipped quadrapedal and
bipedal motion, going straight to unipods.

The unipods were basically pogo sticks – the claim was that once you give up
the stable tripod it’s all about balance anyway, so unipods are easier to get
working.

The bots moved by tilting forward, so the leg was behind them, then jumping,
swinging the leg forward mid-air, landing and rebalancing.

I haven’t tried this yet (my creations tend to disintegrate when looked at
roughly), and the balancing may be beyond the RCX’s capabilities, but it’s an
idea. Even if it needed trainer legs to rest on between jumps, it’d still be
pretty cool.

-g