 Robotics / 8323
Re: Jumping 'bots?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 18:49:15 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Christian Jacobsen) writes:
I have seen treaded robots, wheeled robots, walking robots, and even flying
and bungee jumping RCX's...

...but I have not seen any "jumping" robots.  I am thinking about something
with a frog-like action.
Dear Christian,

I have been experimenting with legs that could make a robot jump like a frog
(see my old "Jump Frog Jump"-posting). I had several problems. It was actually
my first idea for a robot. One of the problems the idea represented was how
well would the RCX take a landing, because frogs land on their belly. How
would the RCX like that? (I don’t think it would be too happy about it).

To get ideas of how to make a robot jump take a look at a mechanical toy frog
with gears. The big problem is landing safely. Here I have tinkered with fixed
wheels on the bottom of the RCX.

My frog was supposed to move at different speeds depending on the temperature.
I used Gordons Brick Programmer to write the RCX code, you can also use NQC
with RCX commander.

Play well!

Marcus Fischer Mellbin

---