 Robotics / 8171
Re: !!! Laser attachments for Mindstorms !!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 12:34:43 GMT

How far away can the RCX be before the return cannnot be detected?
Andy

Peter Pletcher wrote:

I've found that shooting a laser pointer at a bicycle reflector gives a
good enough return (to a light sensor right next to the laser source) to
be detected.  You can use this for navigation, as the RCX can turn
around and find strategically mounted reflectors.

Sorry, Josh, but I'll stick with my $8 laser pointer.  If your brick
allows the beam to be turned on and off with, say, a motor output that's
pretty cool, though.

Nick Goetz wrote:

Forgive my ignorance with respect to robotics and the like but what would
you do with a laser? Is it used for guiding the robot or can the RCX detect
when the beam is broken?  I don't assume it is used to zap dirty dishes from
the dinner table. <g>

-Nick

Josh Yeager wrote in message ...
Hi all,
I am selling laser modules for Mindstorms. The modules are
two 2x6 lego bricks one on top of the other with a plate on the bottom.
It has a wire with a lego power connector on the end attached to one
end, and the laser sticks out about 1mm from the other end. The wire
attaches to an output port of the RCX. The modules are available in
blue or black, but if you would like another color, I may be able to get
it for you with a slight delay. The price is $35, which includes shipping.
To order, email me and tell me which color you would like. I need at
least three more orders, or I will have to raise the price.

Josh Yeager

--
// Peter Pletcher                             peterpl@pacbell.net
//