 Robotics / 7302
Re: !!! Laser attachments for Mindstorms !!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 15:54:10 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Josh Yeager writes:
Hi all,
I am selling laser modules for Mindstorms. [SNIP]

My initial thought was "Why?", but of course the next couple of posts
displayed the creative energy of this group and contained several good answers
to my question.

For range finding using the laser wouldn't monitoring the intensity of the
return be a fair indicator? Or perhaps pulsing the signal and counting not the
time, but the number of pulses that exceed some threshold of intensity?

Aside from that, it would be fun to design a robot to track a moving object
and project the laser light onto it.  By having the RCX remember the initial
light value from a well shielded directional light sensor, it could follow
anything that came in front of the light sensor and disturbed that value.  If
you used two light sensors, or the differential light sensors out there, it
would be even easier.

Laser tag sounds like another interesting alternative.  It would be difficult
to 'score' a hit on another robot due to the narrow beam.  Is anyone good
enough at optics to elaborate on how the beam could be diffused into more of a
cone shape?