 Robotics / 7337
Re: Flex Cables (was: Does anyone has the 8479 bar code truck?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 02:25:35 GMT

In article <slrn804ie0.ufe.mattdm@jadzia.bu.edu>, mattdm@mattdm.org wrote:

Dave Baum <dbaum@spambgoneenteract.com> wrote:
Nope, for some strange reason its not available in the US.  Perhaps some
legal issue (lawsuit and/or patent dispute) is what prevents it from being

I doubt that; it's availble as part of bigger sets (the Indy Storm, for
example).

The reason I speculated that it may have been a legal issue is that
several years ago the flex pack was advertised as available from S@H.  For
some reason they pulled it from US distribution but kept it in Europe.
The flex pack has several different style connectors in it - perhaps one
of them is the problem, and TLG works around that in the bigger sets by
not using that specific connector.

The other "mystery" is that the "type II" connectors were already in sets
(8412, etc) when I ordered 5118 from the UK, but 5118 was still using the
type I connectors.  Strange.

Of course this is all pure speculation.  Perhaps 5118 didn't sell a high
enough quantity in the US to remain a service pack and S@H replaced it
with something else.

Dave

--